Do you love the outdoors? If so, you could be our next intern!
The Woodie Wheaton Land Trust is seeking two, highly motivated students to spend their summer in Forest City, Maine as our Land Stewardship & Geographic Information System (GIS) Interns.
Land Stewardship & Geographic Information System (GIS) Internship
The Land Stewardship & GIS Intern supports ongoing efforts of the Woodie Wheaton Land Trust (WWLT) in the areas of land management and property stewardship. Responsibilities include preparing and creating maps, with field work, and monitoring of all WWLT’s properties and easements. Work may also include trail maintenance, drafting outreach material (e.g. content for website, social media, and mailings), greeting visitors, and general office work.
The Summer Internship Program provides successful candidates the opportunity to develop a connection to the work of the WWLT in land preservation, land stewardship and management, recreational management, and environmental education. Summer interns work under the supervision and training of the Office Manager. Internships are flexible in nature and will be designed to match the Land Trust’s needs with the skills and interests of the intern.
- Deadline to Apply: March 19, 2021
- Openings: 2 Internship Positions
- Date of Internship: June 1 – August 6 (Dates are flexible based on academic schedule)
- Hours: Flexible Hours; Approximately 40 Hours a Week
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of one year of college, with preference to students working towards degrees in Environmental Science, Biology, Forestry, or related degree (or equivalent experience); other majors will be considered
- Previous coursework in GIS mapping, REQUIRED
- Personal interest in the conservation mission of the Land Trust
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work creatively and independently
- Use of social media
- Have reliable transportation
- Ability to work outdoors
- Ability to work weekends and evenings occasionally
- Ability to perform moderate physical manual labor
Rate of Pay:
A summer stipend of $2,500 and shared housing with another intern is provided. WWLT will also provide mileage reimbursement at the standard IRS rate for Summer Interns.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and at least two references to the address below by March 19, 2021. Both academic and work references are accepted.
Madison Shaw, Office Manager
Subject: Land Stewardship & GIS Internship
Deadline: March 19, 2021